Tulane University through Library Associates Companies (LAC) seeks a creative, dynamic Head of Music & Media Librarian to work within the Public Services Division at an academic library located in New Orleans, LA. Reporting to the Director of Public Services, the Head of the Music and Media Librarian will play a key role in the Library’s efforts to rebuild its world-class music collections, which were heavily damaged by Hurricane Katrina. He or she will participate in committee service within the library and through professional activity help to advocate for the interests of librarians at Tulane and throughout the profession. The librarian may share reference duties with other librarians at a central Reference and Information Desk including some evening and weekend duty; and participate in the library’s instruction program.
* Develop new music and media collections in both digital and print formats;
* Act as bibliographer and liaison to the Music and Communication departments, providing reference and instructional services;
* Supervise a full-time Media Specialist who oversees the day-to-day running of the library’s music & media facility;
* Manage the development of a growing collection of audio recordings, video recordings, and other media which support the university curriculum, including a Film Studies program within the Department of Communication.
* Develop a dynamic vision for the library’s music and media resources, following national trends, current research, and the latest practices in the field;
* Participate in committee service within the library and through professional activity help to advocate for the interests of librarians at Tulane and throughout the profession;
* Some reference duties as required;
* Participate in the library’s instruction program.
* Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program or a significant background in music;
* Knowledge of music bibliography as evidenced by course work or experience;
* Two (2) or more years experience in reference and instruction in an academic library setting;
* Advanced degree in music or musicology or an interest or experience in film and media studies is preferred;
* Knowledge of trends in music and media librarianship including emerging digital formats;
* Familiarity with copyright, licensing and preservation issues;
* Excellent communication and teaching skills;
* Enthusiasm for an innovative and changing environment;
* Previous experience in collection development and a demonstrated skill in library instruction is preferred;
* Willingness to participate in professional development and in the shared governance of the Library and the University.
* For immediate consideration please email your cover letter and resume to Recruiter Brad Rogers at, email@example.com.
* Please reference position title as the subject line of your email.
* Library Associates Companies is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that values diversity in the workforce.