June 9, 2016
Washington, D.C. At the Hungarian Ambassador’s Residence in Washington, D.C., Klezmer musician Frank London was awarded the Hungarian Medal, the Order of Merit of the Republic of Hungary, Knights Cross (in Hungarian: Magyar Köztársasági Érdemrend) for his contributions to traditional and ongoing culture.
The Azrieli Music Project (AMP), a Canadian philanthropic organization, announced that composer Wlad Marhulets is the winner of the inaugural Azrieli Prize in Jewish Music for his Klezmer Clarinet Concerto. Marhulets, who submitted a completed orchestral work on a Jewish theme or subject – along with applicants from around the world – has been granted the second of two $50,000 prizes, which were offered for the first time by the Azrieli Foundation. In September 2015, the Azrieli Music Project announced that Brian Current was the winner of the inaugural Azrieli Commissioning Competition for Canadian composers. Marhulets’s 2009 concerto and Current’s newly created work, The Seven Heavenly Halls, will both be performed at the Azrieli Music Project Inaugural Concert by Orchestre symphonique de Montréal and Maestro Kent Nagano on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at Maison symphonique de Montréal.…
CONTINUE READING >
Sing. Create. Explore.
Interested in Jewish music and liturgy? Deepen your understanding and hone your musical skills. Week-long classes in June and July.
“We’re delighted to offer this intensive music training to anyone with a love of Jewish liturgical music, who wants to hone their skills and add new ones to their repertoire,” said Cantor Brian Mayer, dean of the School of Jewish Music.
Classes will be taught by School of Jewish Music faculty, as well as guest instructors who are specialists in their fields. Among the class offerings are:
- Teaching and Leading Songs in Contemporary Synagogue Worship, with Cantor Jeff Klepper
- Building Spiritual Communities, with Shir Yaakov Feit , singer, composer and specialist in Renewal-style repertoire
- Niggun and Klezmer, with renowned Klezmer musician Rabbi Sruli Dresdner
- Teaching Music, with singer/educator Ellen Allard
- Sacred Drumming, with teacher/percussionist Mitch Gordon
- Shabbat and Weekday Nusach, with Cantors Brian Mayer and Becky Wexler Khitrik CAN ‘14
- Accompanied Repertoire for Shabbat, with guest instructors including Rabbi Jessica Kate Meyer HCRS ’14, Rav-Hazzan Neil Blumofe, Cantor Marcie Jonas CAN ’10, and Rabbi Ebn Leader
In addition to offering courses, the Prayer Leader Summer Institute will also offer An Evening of Klezmer Music with Sruli & Lisa on Tuesday June 28 at 7:30pm.…
CONTINUE READING >